Letters to the Editor

What readers are saying about last week's cover story:

I find my eyes filling up with tears as I type, and my neck muscles tighten. I feel sad, not in the sense of feeling sorry, more like heartbroken.

Posted by: Doug, October 31, 2007 4:51 PM

I am a survivor of anorexia and my heart breaks for Jeremy. Please don't give up, sweetie! The world is better with you in it.

Posted by: Aliecat, October 31, 2007 11:25 PM

Jeremy, I am not repulsed by you, just sad. Please consider going to the eating disorder clinic at Methodist Hospital. Two of my former doctors have left the family practice clinic that I attend to work at the eating disorder clinic. Both are loving, compassionate doctors who I know could help you.

Posted by: Susan, October 31, 2007 11:49 PM

I read the article and immediately could identify with Jeremy because I, too, struggled with anorexia. It is a journey of healing from within. And you are right to say that two more pounds lost doesn't make you any happier. It is never enough.

Posted by: debbie, November 1, 2007 9:46 AM

Jeremy, thank you for allowing City Pages to tell your story. You are not alone—please do not give up, and know that you are not the only one who feels the way you do. Continue to share yourself and love yourself as much as possible.

Posted by: Kat, November 1, 2007 9:54 AM

Jeremy, I understand pain, abuse, etc. I understand numb, depression, hopelessness. It is possible to feel better. Go somewhere where people are kind and know how to treat this disease, and above all be honest and open about your pain and why it's there. You deserve a chance to be happy, to love yourself for who you are. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Posted by: Michelle, November 1, 2007 10:26 AM

Hey, this article helped me alooooooot. You guys have to understand that it is one of the few articles out there on male eating disorders. It's monumental. I want to commend the writer for the amazing task he has accomplished by shedding light on this issue.

Posted by: Kay Adams, November 1, 2007 10:35 AM

I have known Jeremy for almost 15 years, and until a few months ago I did not know about the eating disorder. When I ran into him after many years apart, I was shocked (and yes, disgusted) with what he let happen to him. I admonished him, I scolded him, and like a moron I told him to "eat a donut" and get over it! He never got angry, he just lovingly tried to explain he couldn't help it. Let me formally apologize to you, Jeremy, and I know you have a purpose here, for all the ignorant and stupid, moronic things I have said (or thought) about you since you revealed your illness to me. And thank you for being so brave, and thank you, CP, for putting this out there in whatever way you felt it would reach the most people. I know this is very good therapy for Jeremy, and I am so proud of you, sweetie, for letting yourself be revealed. Those of us who know anything about you know that it was a hard thing for you to do, and if it seems "glamorized" to some, well, baby, you are glamorous, you just can't help it!

Posted by: Stacey, November 1, 2007 11:32 AM

Jeremy: It's true; you are not alone. I belong to a group called OA HOW. It is for overeaters and undereaters—any of us who try, in one way or another, to control food. The problem is, the food ends up controlling us. You would be welcome at any HOW meeting and there are many throughout the Twin Cities. Go to www.oahow.org. There is hope.

Posted by: Maggie, November 1, 2007 1:42 PM

Thank you for bringing to light one of the least talked about aspects of eating disorders: Men suffer, too. I was on the other side of the equation, having eaten myself up over 350 pounds, but thankfully I found a way to live without hurting myself with food a day at a time. In the 12 years that I've been at a more or less "normal" weight, I've learned that anorexia and overeating are just different sides of the same coin. My heart goes out to Jeremy, and I want to thank him for having the courage to share his story publicly, that others might feel less alone.

Posted by: Allen Zadoff, November 1, 2007 5:01 PM